Out of all 50 states, New York was ranked third in top states people moved away from. It was ranked ninth in top states people moved to.
|Top states people moved to||Top states people moved from|
|1. Florida||1. California|
|2. Texas||2. Texas|
|3. California||3. New York|
|4. North Carolina||4. Illinois|
|5. Colorado||5. Florida|
|6. Arizona||6. Washington|
|7. Georgia||7. Colorado|
|8. Washington||8. New Jersey|
|9. New York||9. Pennsylvania|
|10. South Carolina||10. Oregon|
The Move.org report surveyed 1,000 people who moved in 2021. The report found that 20% of Americans moved this year.
Of those surveyed, 43% moved within the same city, 35% moved within the same state, 20% moved to a different state and 2% moved to a different country. About 75% moved less than 1,000 miles away from their old homes.
Americans primary reasons for moving included family, career, economic and lifestyle preferences. Movers secondary reasons are more a little more specific:
- 39% cited political reasons
- 37% cited lower taxes
- 38% cited climate change
- 45% cited lower living costs
- 43% cited better culture
- 32% cited better weather
Other findings from the report included:
- 63% of respondents said if the Omicron variant of the COVID-19 virus worsens, they will consider a move in 2022
- 62% of respondents experienced shortages using moving trucks and professional moving services during their move
- 63% of respondents said their move was unexpected
- 73% of respondents remodeled their home this year
- 31% of respondents bought a home
- 80% of respondents said they used professional moving services
To view the full report, you can visit the Move.org website.