(WUTR-TV) — New York state is waiving the 7-Day waiting period for Unemployment Insurance benefits for people who are out of work due to Coronavirus closures or quarantines.
If you are filing a new unemployment insurance claim, then you should file on the day that corresponds with the first letter of your last name.
- For last names that start with A- F, file your claim on Monday, March 23rd.
- For last names that start with G – N, file your claim Tuesday, March 24th.
- For last names that start with O – Z, file your claim on Wednesday March 25th,
If you missed your filing day, file your claim on Thursday, March 26th or Friday, March 27th. Filing later in the week will not delay your payments or affect the date of your claim. All claims are effective on the Monday of the week in which they are filed.
Telephone hours have been extended:
- Monday – Thursday, 8 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Unemployment Insurance Benefits of New York can be contacted at 1-(888)-209-8124. Steps on how to file your claim online can be found here.