The New York State Regional Economic Development Council held their annual awards presentations in Albany Thursday afternoon. The REDC parcels out millions of dollars to be used in each region of the state for economic development. The Mohawk Valley area was a big winner at the awards presentation, being given $82.7 million dollars.
Among the major expenditures listed for the Mohawk Valley:
- $2.5 million for expansion of Feldmeier Equipment in Herkimer
- $4.125 million combined for modernization of Collins Aerospace operation at Griffiss
- $2.7 million for construction, by Griffiss Local Development Corp, of a cybersecurity operation
- $380,000 for Kelberman Center, Inc for work on the Kelberman at Sunset project
- $1.2 million for Masonic Medical Research Institute’s third phase of their renovation project
- $2.5 million for Town of Whitestown for Sauquoit Creek Floodplain restoration
- $317,250 for Baseball Hall of Fame for production of new online video series
- $800,000 for Springbrook NY for revival of the Ford Block in downtown Oneonta
- $1 million for Richfield Springs for multiple green infrastructure projects
- $25,000 for Schenevus and Worcester School Districts to fund feasibility study of a merger
- $200,000 for OTSEGO NOW to help with construction of Onenonta Halal Meat Processing Facility
- $600,000 for Tabernacle Baptist Church in Utica to continue restoration of church
- $900,000 for Standing Stone Development for revitalization of Hotel Street section of downtown Utica.
- $2 million dollars for Community Foundation of Herkimer and Oneida counties for renovation of a long vacant former school building for use as, what the project list refers to as the Utica Free Academy Impact Center. We are attempting to get clarification on what this is.
- $345,000 to Mohawk Valley Garden Corp to hold a Winter Festival Sporting Event as part of the 25th anniversary of Griffiss Park and the grand opening of the Nexus Center. The event is listed to include an outdoor AHL game with the Utica Comets, a Utica College outdoor hockey game and a Utica City FC MASL match.