UTICA, NY (WUTR/WFXV/WPNY) – Utica Police arrested a woman on Tuesday, August 15 after she and another male allegedly overdosed on opiates and fought with police during her arrest.

Police were called to the intersection of South Street and Steuben Street at approximately 1:15 PM on Tuesday regarding an overdose investigation. Officers say they found a male in an obvious overdose state upon arrival. The Utica Fire Department was called to assist and was able to conduct lifesaving measures and brought the male to a state of consciousness.

While they were providing aid, officers who were acquiring information about the incident were directed to a silver SUV in a nearby parking lot. Officers approached the vehicle and noticed a female sitting in the driver’s seat. When the female was informed of the reason for the interview, the female – 50-year-old Annesa Mitchell of Utica – allegedly became irate and uncooperative with officers. Police say that they also noticed an open can of beer in the vehicle.

While continuing to explain their purpose at the scene, Mitchell became belligerent and allegedly attempted to walk away from officers. As she was walking away, officers say they noticed a plastic bag protruding from a back pocket in her pants and noticed a shape in her pants consistent with drug packaging. The officers then advised Mitchell she was not free to leave and attempted to detain her, and at this point, Mitchell allegedly began to struggle with officers, clasping the bag in her hands. Officers say they were then able to take control of the bag, finding that it contained glassine envelopes containing a substance consistent with heroin.

As police escorted Mitchell into a patrol car, she allegedly withdrew additional glassine envelopes and threw them into a puddle, attempting to stomp on them and destroy them. The additional envelopes were also collected for testing and Mitchell was transported to the Utica Police Department.

Once police got Mitchell to the Utica Police Department, police say they saw that she too was suffering from the effects of opiate overdose. The Utica Fire Department was again called to assist and Narcan was administered to Mitchell, which produced positive effects. Mitchell was then transported to a local hospital for evaluation and released. Upon her release, Mitchell was brought back to the Utica Police Department, where she was subsequently charged and processed.

Mitchell is currently being charged with third- and seventh-degree Criminal Possession of a Controlled Substance, a felony and a misdemeanor, respectively. She is also being charged with two counts of second-degree Criminal Possession of Drug Paraphernalia and second-degree Obstructing Governmental Administration, both misdemeanors.