ONEIDA COUNTY, N.Y. (WUTR/WFXV/WPNY) – An Oneida County Sheriff’s Deputy was seen going above and beyond to help a family in need at a local area Walmart who did not have the proper safety equipment for their children in their vehicle.

Deputy Haynes has worked at the Oneida County Police Department for over 20 years. Every week he works midnight shifts from 6:00 pm to 6:00 am. On the evening of Saturday, September 17th, a family of six pulled into an Oneida County Walmart and exit their 5-seat vehicle. Oneida County Sheriff’s Deputy Hanes was already at the Walmart assisting with an unrelated matter when he observed the family arrive and enter the Walmart.

“When they get back to the car, they put three kids on the back seat, and one look like the older child in the front seat and I spoke with the mother to there is a little bit of problem here. And she just explained that they just spend all of the money on groceries. And they really don’t have a lot to go off of with that, so I just want to make sure that those kids are safe, so I walked in with the mother and grabbed three booster seats and got them into the car for them.” – Deputy Hanes

Once inside, Deputy Haynes approached the family’s car and saw there was only one car seat. The family had four young children, three of whom were required to be in the backseat and in booster seats and were not when they arrived at the store.

Deputy Haynes waited for the family to finish their shopping and return to their vehicle to speak with them. Rather than issuing them tickets, the deputy instead explained the proper way to safely transport the children. Then, believing the mother was on her way to work a fast-food job and only making minimum wage, Deputy Haynes went into Walmart, purchased three booster seats for a total of $90.00, and installed them into the family’s vehicle for them before they left.

I could not live with myself if I just let that happen you know. I really didn’t do it for any type of recognition.” – Deputy Hanes

The actions of Deputy Haynes were witnessed by a local area resident Britanni Benenati who later posted it on Facebook for recognition.