UTICA, N.Y. (WUTR/WFXV/WPNY) – On Monday, October 18, 2021, the Mohawk Valley Health System (MVHS) visitor policy will change. The updated visitor policy can be found at mvhealthsystem.org/visitation and includes the following changes:
- Visiting hours remain the same for inpatient hospital units – from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week.
- Patients can have two visitors during the designated visiting hours. The two visitors may go to the patient room together or separately, but “switching” out for additional visitors during a two-hour visitor block will no longer be allowed.
- Pediatric patients may have two designated support persons with them at all times.
- One support person who can remain with patients with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities and patients with cognitive impairments through their hospitalization (with an additional visitor being with the patient during hospital-designated visiting hours).
- Patients in imminent end-of-life situations may have two designated support persons with them.
- Visitation has not been expanded for patients with COVID-19, except in special circumstances.
- All visitors must be at least 12-years-old.
In other areas, changes have been made as follows:
- Only one support person will be allowed to accompany an Emergency Department (ED) patient given the high volumes in our EDs and the need to appropriate social distance both patients and support persons.
- A support person can bring surgical patients or those undergoing procedures to the Safe Path entrances at each campus, then they may wait in a designated waiting area as long as there is space for appropriate social distancing. NYSDOH guidance does not allow for support people to accompany patients to the surgical/procedural areas except for the state-required exceptions (e.g., pediatric patients and patients with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities and patients with cognitive impairments).
- MVHS has granted exceptions from this policy for: Ultrasound for pregnant women – partner may accompany
- OB Clinic – partner may accompany
- Patients needing special assistance (frail, wheelchair) – support person may accompany.
All other visitor guidelines remain in place and can be found by visiting mvhealthsystem.org/visitation.