9-year-old boy dead, two adults burned after Remsen house fire


VILLAGE OF REMSEN, NY (WUTR-TV) — A 9-year-old boy was found dead, and two adults severely burned after an early morning house fire, Wednesday morning.

Everett Newman–a fourth grader at Remsen Central School District–was located on the second floor of 9576 Maple Ave. around 2:18 a.m., according to a release from the Oneida County Sheriff’s Office.

Officials say the fire began around 12:43 a.m.

Sheriff Robert Maciol says when fire officials arrived, Louis Newman, 67, and Amelia Newman, 37, were located outside the home and “quickly relayed” Everett was inside the active house fire, and they tried to rescue him.

The adults were transported to to Saint Elizabeth’s Hospital in Utica.

Sheriff Maciol says the Onondaga Medical Examiner’s Office responded to the scene, for the fire death investigation, and the Sheriff’s Office Forensic Identification Unit determined the cause of the fire is believed to have originated from a wood stove on the first floor. 

The Remsen Fire Department and other local fire and EMS services responded to the scene.

Remsen Central School is offering counseling services to students and staff. Superintendent, Tim Jenny says, ” Everett was a wonderful student who could make anyone smile. We share our deepest heartfelt condolences with his family and friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with them during this very difficult time. ”

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.