Proposition One Passes

Proposition One Passes

Voters in New York State have cleared the path to legalized gambling. Voters said "yes" to Proposition One, with 57 percent of voters approving the measure Tuesday. The legislation would allow up to seven casinos to be built in New York.
Voters in New York State have cleared the path to legalized gambling. Voters said "yes" to Proposition One, with 57 percent of voters approving the measure Tuesday. The legislation would allow up to seven casinos to be built in New York.
Officials say the bill could create over ten thousand new jobs in the state and bring in over 400 million dollars in annual revenue. None of the casinos will be built in Central New York. As you may remember, the state reached an agreement with the Oneida Indian Nation in May, giving them exclusive gaming rights in a ten county region. Still, some lawmakers say our region would see a chunk of money from the new casinos.
"Unlike previous laws, where the money has gone into just a general fund for Albany to spend any way they want to, the language of this law is very specific and any revenue that comes in through gambling has to go 80 percent to school education funding the other 20 percent to local property tax relief," said Assemblyman Anthony Brindisi.
The State Legislature must still approve the bill before it goes into effect.

Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus